OperaFix for March 19: Toledo Opera premieres “I Dream”, Eric Salzman’s Big Jim & the Small-time Investors premieres at Symphony Space and Elena Langer’s “Rhonda Rips It Up!” at the Welsh National Opera.
- Toledo Opera
- Rhythm & Blues opera, “I Dream”
- Valentine Theatre
- April 6 and 7, 2018
- Timed to coincide with the commemoration of the 50th year of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The last 36 hours of King’s life
- “Big Jim & the Small-time Investors”
- Eric Salzman
- staged premiere On Monday, April 9 at 7:30 pm at Symphony Space in New York
- The opera is about a con man with a virtual reality machine that allows users to experience their wildest fantasies, whos plans start to spiral out of control, threatening to ruin the Investors and his complicit wife.
- The Welsh National Opera, June 7, 2018
- “Rhonda Rips It Up!”
- Elena Langer and Emma Jenkins.
- If you want to know more about Elena Langer, check out episode 16, “Four Sisters”
- Margaret Haig Thomas, a suffragette who campaigned for equal rights for women in the UK
Credits: Peter Szep producer/editor