OperaFix for March 5: The 2018 New York Opera Fest announces it’s lineup and new FestTix option, Boston Lyric announces 2018-2019 season including Schoenberg in Hollywood by Todd Machover and The Handmaiden’s Tale, William Bolcom’s Dinner at Eight gets it’s European Debut at Wexford Opera, and Jennifer Hidgdon hints at new chamber opera with Opera Philadelphia.
- Boston Lyric Opera Announces new season 2018 – 2019
- the World Premiere of “Schoenberg in Hollywood” by Boston composer Tod Machover. Nov. 14-18.
- May 3-11 2018 “The Handmaid’s Tale”
- Composed by the Danish composer Poul Ruders
- Libretto by Paul Bentley
- based on the novel by Margaret Atwood
- William Bolcom’s “Dinner at Eight”
- European premiere Oct 20th at Wexford Opera
- The opera premiered at Minnesota opera last year
- Based on the comedy by George S. Kaufman
- Ran on Broadway in 1932, and was turned into a film staring Jean Harlow.
- Jennifer Hidgon, composer of Cold Mountain mentions in an interview that she is writing a chamber opera for Opera Philadelphia.We’ve searched and havent found any other mentions of it in the media, so what will it be? If you have any information please email email@example.com
- 2018 New York Opera Fest
- 12 World Premieres
- 2o+ Opera Companies
- 30+ Events
- Hearbeat Opera’s #MeToo take on Mozart’s Don Giovanni
- Operamission’s binge-watchable behind-the-scenes look at Handel’s Teseo
- FestTix – $12 or less tickets for select events, available April 1 – May 1
Credits: Peter Szep producer/editor