Anne Midgette will be honored at the New York Opera Fest Kickoff event, Lady Swanwhite at Opera Tampa, The passing of J.D. McClatchy, Opera America announces $1.2 Million in Innovation Grants, The Wake World wins Best New Opera from the Music Critics Association of America, David Cote Songs at Weill Hall and Fest Tix discounts are available for the New York Opera Fest.
Opera Tampa will premiere Anton Coppola’s fairytale opera “Lady Swanwhite.” this coming November at the Straz Center.
We are sad to report that Librettist J.D. McClatchy has passed away. He was known for being librettist of Ned Rorem’s Our Town, Tobias Picker’s Emmeline, and Julie Taymore’s english language production of The Magic Flute. He was also the librettist of Michael Dellaira’s The Secret Agent which was featured on our very first show.
Opera America Announced 20 Recipients of $1.2 million in Innovation Grantsfunded by the Ann and Gordon Getty Foundation, including:
- American Opera Projects (New York, NY)
- Nautilus Music-Theater (St. Paul, MN)
- On Site Opera (New York, NY)
- Opera North (Lebanon, NH)
- Opera on Tap (New York, NY)
The New York Opera Alliance (NYOA) will launch their third annual New York Opera Fest (NYOF) at a Kickoff Party on Tuesday, May 1st with a performance and celebration the National Opera Center. This year The event will honor music critic Anne Midgette, for her support and championship of independent opera companies and the art form as a whole
NYOA is also excited to announce the launch of FestTix, offering discounted tickets to Festival events from $0-$12
The Wake World by David Hertzberg won Best New Opera from The Music Critics Association of America. To find out more about this innovative production which was performed in the Barnes Foundation Art Museum in Phildelphia, David and Director R.B. Schlater were our guests on episode 41 of the indie opera podcast.
Vocal Works of Robert Paterson Presented by American Modern Ensemble
Thursday, April 26, 2018 8 PM Weill Recital Hall
- An evening of vocal music by Robert Paterson, including
- In Real Life (text by David Cote)
- Crossing the Hudson(Mark Campbell)
- Batter’s Box (Kenny Berkowitz and Bridget Meeds)
- As well as three world premieres
- Night Songs for bass-baritone and piano (settings of poems by W. H. Auden, Michael Collier, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Dana Gioia, and Ted Kooser),
- CAPTCHA for mezzo soprano and piano
- Spring Songs for tenor and piano.
BUY TICKETS NOW HERE: call 212 247 7800
USE THE Discount code for $30 tix: AME28834
Credits: Peter Szep producer/editor